Marker Commemorating the 1780 Siege of Charleston Dedicated
On May 12, two hundred and thirty years to the day that General Benjamin Lincoln surrendered his force of 6,000 men to the British after their 42-day siege of Charleston, a marker commemorating the event was dedicated in Marion Square.
The Surrender of Charleston was one of the largest defeats for the Patriots in the War, but it was also the beginning of the end for British rule in the colonies. More than 500 American and British troops fell in the area between Spring and Calhoun Streets in downtown Charleston, and organizers of the commemoration hope this marker will serve as a reminder of the sacrifice those troops made and will bring attention to an often overlooked era in Charleston's history.
The marker is made possible through the South Carolina State Historic Marker Program, and was funded through the MGen William Moultrie Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution, the State Society of the Sons of the American Revolution, and the State Society of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution. It is being placed with the permission of the Washington Light Infantry/Sumter Guards Board of Officers, owners of Marion Square.