ASSC Hilton Head Chapter- presents
Ashley Deming - Sport Diving and Archaeology
Tues. May 21st- 2 pm
The Archaeology Society of SC/Hilton Head Chapter is pleased to announce that Ashley Deming, Manager, Sport Diver Archaeology Management Program. An archaeologist with the Maritime Research Division, she will speak on Hilton Head Tuesday, May 21st at Discovery House, Coastal Discovery Museum on Honey Horn Plantation starting at 2:00 PM. All ASSC/HH meetings are free and open to the public.
Deming received a BA in Anthropology from Western Michigan University. After finishing her degree, she went to work as an Education and Outreach Specialist for Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary in Alpena, Michigan. She then obtained a MA in Maritime Archaeology and History from the University of Bristol in Bristol, England.
From the SCIAA field office in Charleston, Ashley focuses on public archaeology and outreach as well as managing the Hobby Diver licensing program. Ashley is also the maritime archaeologist on staff for the Charleston field office.
This meeting is particularily relevent as Deming will be discussing the Hilton Head Island wreck aka the Sea Pines wreck to sport divers as there will be an opportunity to learn about State opportunities to dive local sites.
- Sept. 17th-Speaker TBA 1 pm
- Oct. 8th-ASSC/HH Partners w Beaufort District Collection at Beaufort County Library 311 Scott St to celebrate SC Archaeology Month
- Oct. 19th-4th Annual What the Heck is IT? Artifact Identification Program -Beaufort District Collection upstairs at the Beaufort County Library on 311Scott St.
- Nov. 19th-confirmation pending 1 pm
- Dec. 10th-ASSC Christmas Social-location TBA