The Archaeological Society of South Carolina Presents
Fall Field Day
Ben Gause Road, Coward, S.C.
This year’s Fall Field Day event will be held October 29, 10-4, at Lynches River County Park, in Florence County (more info and maps, visit Lynches River Park and ASSC). This is a fun and family friendly event so please join us. There will be displays, demonstrations, lectures, artifact identification, and educational programs. Admission is free.
This Year’s Theme is the history and archaeology of the Pee Dee River System. Excavations at the Johannes Kolb site (38DA75), in Darlington County, near Mechanicsville, will be featured.
Primitive Technology - Native American Lifeways Demonstrations
* Scott Jones (General demonstration, technology
* Keith Grenoble (General demonstration, foodways, pottery making and firing)
* Roger Lindsay (Throwing spears with an atl atl)
* Fuz Sanderson (Making Fire with Friction)
* Sean Taylor (Primitive Technology in Archaeology)
* Keith “Little Bear” Brown (Catawba Pottery making)
* New South Associates - The Yauhannah Bluff Site
* USC Anthropology- student and faculty research
* SCIAA Sport Diver Management Program
* SCIAA Underwater Division and the Pee Dee Research and Recovery Team:
* The Mars Bluff Confederate Navy Yard
* PAST Foundation- Excavations at the Robertson Farm, Pickens County SC
* Savannah River Site- Carolina Bays and Archaeology
* Tommy Charles
* Hands On Demonstrations
* Pottery making with Bobby Southerlin
* SCAPOD- Pottery refits, Dig boxes, handouts
* Archives and History (Digging into Archives)
For More Info on the ASSC, visit here
For More Info on the Kolb Site, visit here.